Simple lemon butter scallops served over my favorite risotto recipe made with shallots, garlic, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, and a little white wine.
- 8 large/jumbo sea scallops, side muscle removed
- 2 cups mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and cut into 1/2- to 1-inch pieces (shiitake, baby bella, chanterelle, white, or oyster are good)
- 4–5 cups of warm chicken broth (I prefer low sodium) see note below
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges for serving
- oil, for cooking
lemon butter sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- juice of half a lemon, squeezed
For the risotto
- Heat butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic. Simmer until softened, 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook for 1-2 additional minutes.
- Add risotto and stir for 1 minute. Add the white wine and simmer for an additional minute. Add warm chicken broth to the pan ½ cup at a time, stirring after each addition. Allow the risotto to absorb 2/3 of the broth before each addition. Continue until soft and creamy, about 25-30 minutes. Note, the chicken broth will absorb in about 2 minutes or so after each addition.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and stir in Parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley. Divide and transfer to bowls when ready to serve.
For the scallops
- While the risotto is cooking, pat scallops dry and season all over with salt and pepper. Mince the parsley and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a 12-inch cast iron skillet and bring to medium-high heat.
- Once skillet is hot, add the scallops to the pan and sear for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown on the top and bottom.
- Remove scallops from the skillet and set on a plate. Reduce heat to medium and add the butter, lemon, and fresh parsley to the skillet, stirring occasionally until fully melted.
- Return the scallops to the skillet and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes per side. Divide scallops and serve over risotto in a bowl and drizzle with extra lemon butter sauce as desired. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
Make 5 cups of chicken broth and heat up in microwave so it’s warm (you may only use 4 cups, check for tenderness after 4 cups). Warm broth is critical to properly cooking risotto. Room temp will unnessecarily cool down pan/risotto.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 764
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 949mg
- Fat: 32.7g
- Saturated Fat: 12.3g
- Carbohydrates: 63.6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 39.3g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
Keywords: scallop risotto, parmesan risotto recipe