Fresh homemade basil pesto made with basil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic, and olive oil. Perfect for pasta, pizza, sandwiches, and more.
- 3 loosely packed cups of basil leaves, about 2.5 ounces
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all pesto ingredients except for the olive oil in a food processor or blender. Blend/pulse until mixed and smooth.
- With the motor running, add olive oil in a slow stream until combined. Pesto should not be too soupy or fine. Set aside. Can be made a day in advance and stored in the fridge in a tightly sealed container. Cover with plastic wrap seated directly on top of the surface to prevent browning/air exposure.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a standard blender or single-serve blender instead. Just don’t blend the ingredients too aggressively or it will turn into a creamy paste. If using a single-serve blender, combine all ingredients together and pulse until smooth. Shaking the containing in between blends will help to mix the ingredients if they get “stuck.”
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 97
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Sodium: 44mg
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 0.5g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
Keywords: basil pesto, homemade pesto