I’ve been forever obsessed with Dunkin’s classic strawberry frosted donuts. I’ll go as far as saying it’s the best donut ever created, including all of those fine craft donuts with amazing toppings out there.
This baked strawberry frosted donut is made with real strawberry frosting and rainbow sprinkles. I wish I could say it’s as good as the real thing, but I’d obviously be lying to you. It’s delicious in its own right, looks awesome, and really easy to make in under 30 minutes.
Filling the Donut Tray
The donut batter is relatively thick. It’s easiest to fill a Ziploc bag with the batter, cut a small hole in the corner, and pipe it into each donut ring. I used a spoon afterward to smooth out each donut. I highly recommend this approach over spooning the batter in.
The strawberry frosting is really simple. Confectioners sugar, blended fresh strawberries, and a little vanilla extract. It’s important to totally pulverize the strawberries into a near liquid consistency. From here it’s just a matter of thickening and sweetening with confectioners sugar. My only advice is to not make the frosting too runny or it won’t form a nice thick layer of frosting.
You could use strawberry jelly or jam, but the flavor is too artificial for my taste. It’s just as easy to use fresh strawberries. As a side note, If you do opt for strawberry jam, I would still blend the jam to ensure it’s very smooth. You can’t have ANY clumps.
Frosting the Donuts
Frosting the donuts is as easy as dipping the top half of the donut upside down into the frosting. 2-3 dunks is the sweet spot for the perfect coating. You want the donuts to be slightly warm when frosting so it smooths out nicely with minimal resistance. Immediately sprinkle with sprinkles so they stick to the wet frosting. It will dry into a shiny glaze in about 10 minutes.Print
Baked Strawberry Frosted Donuts Recipe
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
These baked strawberry frosted donuts are made with real homemade strawberry frosting and rainbow sprinkles. Easily made in under 30 minutes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rainbow sprinkles, optional
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 medium strawberries, stems cut off and blended (or two tablespoons strawberry jam)* See note
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and grease a donut pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt), whisk until combined.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a seperate small bowl (eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla extract), whisk until smooth.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until all dry ingredients are mixed in. Do not overmix.
- Transfer batter to a Ziploc bag with a 1/2 inch corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the donut pan until each donut mold is 3/4 full. Use a spoon to smooth the batter out if necessary. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Donuts are done when they spring back to the touch. Let donuts rest in the pan for 5 minutes while they cool. Prepare the frosting while donuts are in the oven.
For the strawberry frosting
- Blend strawberries with water until completely pulverized and smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and add confectioners sugar. Whisk until smooth and fully mixed in. Frosting should be relatively creamy and slowly drizzle off a spoon. Add additional confectioners sugar to thicken, or a teaspoon of water at a time to thin out.
- Remove warm donuts from the pan and dip the top half upside down into the frosting, 2-3 times, until desired coating is reached. Set on a wire rack and immediatly sprinkle with sprinkles to ensure they adhere. Let frosting harden for 5-10 minutes before serving.
If you use strawberry jam, I would still blend with a small splash of water to ensure it’s free of any strawberry chunks.
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 12.1g
- Sodium: 239mg
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 48.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
Keywords: strawberry frosted doughnuts, baked doughnut recipe, baked donuts
Do these need to be refrigerated because of the frosting?
This was AMAZING i had just gotten a donut pan for my bday and i used this for my first time EVER making doughnuts thx so much!!!
Can these be frozen? If so, are they as good when they thaw?
I’ve never tried freezing them. Personally, I can’t imagine them being as good but that’s just a guess.
These look amazing. What if you don’t have a donut pan? Any suggestions on a substitute?
Sadly no, sorry!. You would have to make yeast donuts and fry them in some oil. I don’t have a recipe for that as of now.