This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase a product I recommend.
Ground turkey stuffed peppers are one of my favorite healthier, Mexican stuffed peppers. I wouldn’t necessarily say Kitchen Swagger puts an emphasis on the word “healthy,” but I am passionate about whole foods and real ingredients. After all, I believe everything is OK in moderation.
These hot tamales are actually one of Patty’s go-to Mexican inspired recipes. She lured me into finally coming up with my own twist after a few delicious stuffed bell peppers of her own. The sad part is, we always somehow forget to make them.
Ground turkey stuffed peppers are the hidden gem of our arsenal of Mexican staples. Everyone makes loaded nachos, tacos, and burritos of course—but we always seem surprised when we remember the tried and true stuffed pepper.
How to Make Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers
Stuffed bell peppers should be simple (but LOADED with meat and flavor). I use lean ground turkey, brown rice (mainly for texture), chopped onion, diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro, spices, and a blend of Mexican cheeses. All prepared in a single cast iron skillet (plus one bowl, but who’s counting?).
Fully cook the ground turkey with the spices in the skillet before baking. I like to saute the onions and tomatoes so they’re nice and tender before baking as well. Baking the peppers will, of course, ensure everything is hot, but its main purpose is to soften/cook the peppers and melt the final topping of cheese.
What to Put in Stuffed Peppers?
The options are endless and there aren’t any RULES.
- Sauteed corn or black beans
- Brown rice
- Fresh lime juice
- Chopped jalapeno (if you’re like me and NEEEED more spiciness if your life)
- Cojita or any Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream
- Green or yellow onion
- Chopped tomatoes
- Your favorite spices and seasoning (chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, or taco seasoning)
You can use ground beef in place of turkey but I usually use lean ground turkey because it’s a healthier alternative to red meat, and the seasonings help add any flavor you might be missing. Serve stuffed peppers with my guacamole and an accompanying fresh Jalapeno margarita and you just might actually turn into me.
You’ll Also Love
- Stuffed poblano peppers
- Skillet fajitas
- Carne asada street tacos
- Skillet chicken enchiladas
- Ultimate guacamole
Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 2-3 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
Ground turkey stuffed green peppers stuffed with ground turkey, brown rice, cheese, onions, cilantro, and spices—healthy, simple, and delicious.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 4 bell peppers, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking
- 3–4 slices of minced jalapeño (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, removing the stems and seeds. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a 12 inch cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add ground turkey, salt, and pepper and cook until turkey is evenly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, tomato, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and optional jalapeño. Let simmer for 3-4 more minutes. Transfer filling to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Spoon the turkey filling evenly into each bell pepper cavity. Arrange peppers back in the skillet, cavity side up and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven, top each pepper with 1-2 tablespoons of cheese, and place back in the oven for 5 more minutes. Garnish with minced cilantro before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 pepper
- Calories: 394
- Sugar: 8.2g
- Sodium: 219mg
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 50.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 34.4g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
Keywords: Bell peppers stuffed with ground turkey, brown rice, cheese, onions, cilantro, and spices—healthy, simple, and delicious.
Amei!!! Gostamos muito de pimentão recheado em minha casa, e esse parece especial. Vou fazer a receita