This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase a product I recommend.
Crispy baked honey buffalo wings are sweet, spicy, and ready for game day. Better yet, these wings will please both teams—slightly spicy, yet sweet enough to serve as a mild buffalo wing.
I love these honey buffalo wings because they’re easily roasted in the oven and then dredged in an amazing sticky sauce. Unlike plain buffalo sauce, this sweetened variation is caramelized to form a glaze that will coat every nook and cranny on the wing. It’s one of my favorite recipes for when I want to go the extra mile.
Honey Buffalo Sauce
The secret to my wing sauce is nearly equal parts honey and buffalo sauce. The sauce is prepared in a blender with spices and cornstarch and then slowly heated in a skillet to thicken. The honey will naturally thicken the sauce, but the cornstarch will give it an even more amazing consistency.
- Buffalo sauce
- Brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Corn starch—the thickening agent
How to Bake Wings in the Oven
Roasting chicken wings in the oven is just like roasting any other cut of chicken in the oven. Roasting is best because it crisps the skin nicely as it cooks. Simply bake wings on a wire-rack stacked baking sheet at 400°F for about 45-60 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
If you roast the wings on a cooling rack stacked on top of a baking sheet, it will crisp the skin even more, since the fat can drip down off the wings. It’s not necessary, but a preference.
While chicken wings should be cooked to at least 165°F internally to be considered safe for consumption, You can cook it up to 190-200°F and it will still be juicy and tender thanks to the fat content of dark meat. This gives the skin ample time to crisp up in the oven, making a better-tasting wing.
Coat the Wings in Sauce Last
Prepare the sauce in a large pan or cast iron skillet and then introduce the wings in batches. Adding the wing sauce at the very end prevents the sauce from running off in the oven, leaving you with perfectly coated sticky wings.
Alternatively, you can simmer the sauce in a small saucepan and add it to a very large bowl along with the finished wings. This allows you to easily toss the wings in the sauce for a nice even coating.
You’ll Also Love
- Grilled tequila lime wings
- Grilled jerk chicken
- Dry rub air fryer chicken wings
- Garlic parmesan chicken wings
- Grilled honey sriracha chicken thighs
Baked Honey Buffalo Wings Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
Honey buffalo wings are equal parts sweet and spicy. Roasted in the oven until crispy and tossed in a sticky homemade honey buffalo glaze.
- 24 assorted chicken wings and drumettes
- salt and pepper to taste
Honey buffalo sauce
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Season chicken wings with salt and pepper and bake for 45-60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches at least 165°F. Wings are best cooked up to 190-200°F to allow the skin ample time for crisping.
- In the last 10 minutes, combine all honey buffalo sauce ingredients in a blender and pulse until fully incorporated. Can also be whisked together until fully mixed.
- In a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat, bring the sauce to a low simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the fully cooked wings to the skillet in batches to coat in the honey buffalo sauce, flipping until fully coated. Serve immediately. Wings can also be tossed in a large bowl with the sauce for easy coating.
While chicken wings should be cooked to at least 165°F internally to be considered safe for consumption, You can cook it up to 190-200°F and it will still be juicy and tender thanks to the fat content of dark meat.
- Serving Size: 4 wings
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 31.2g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Fat: 14.9g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 20.8g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
Keywords: buffalo wings, honey buffalo wings, how to bake wings
Once the sauce is made, how long will it last in the fridge?
A few days is fine!
This recipe was so good! My husband and I loved it! Trying on shrimp tonight.
Did you ever try it on the shrimp?