Simple blackened salmon topped with garlicky cilantro-lime compound butter.
- 2 6-8 ounce salmon filets, skin removed
- 2–3 tablespoons blackening seasoning (such as Old Bay)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lime wedges for garnish
Cilantro lime butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lime, juice squeezed
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
Homemade blackening seasoning (makes 6 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the cilantro lime butter
- Leave butter on the counter to soften. Alternatively, place butter in a small bowl or ramekin and microwave in 5-10 second intervals to soften. Do not melt. Add garlic, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Use a fork to mix the butter together until combined. Form the butter into an imperfect ball and keep in the fridge until ready to serve
For the salmon
- Generously season each salmon filet with blackening seasoning until fully coated on all sides. Note, store-bought blackening seasoning tends to be salty. If you’re salt sensitive, I’d recommend using a thin dusting. Squeeze a little lime juice over each side of each filet and rub it in.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Once hot, sear salmon for 3-4 minutes per side, flipping once, for medium. Sear for 4-5 minutes per side if you prefer your salmon more flakey and well done. Do not move, prod, or poke salmon while cooking. Leave it alone to let a crust form.
- Plate and top each salmon filet with a spoonful of cilantro lime butter and serve with a lime wedge and additional chopped cilantro.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl or container and mix to incorporate. This recipe makes 6 tablespoons so you will have plenty extra.
This recipe works best in a cast iron skillet. You can alternatively grill the salmon for 3-4 minutes per side on medium-high heat. Just be sure to grease the grates well to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 537
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 241mg
- Fat: 34.1g
- Saturated Fat: 13.4g
- Carbohydrates: 10.6g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 51.8g
- Cholesterol: 158mg
Keywords: blackened salmon, how to blacken fish, cilantro lime butter