A simple hibachi-inspired fried rice recipe made with white rice, butter, soy sauce, and veggies.
- 1 1/2 cups (4 cups cooked) short-grain white rice (long-grain or jasmine rice is also perfectly fine)
- 1 egg, whisked/scrambled
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons (half stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2–3 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- Prepare rice according to the instructions on the packaging. Let chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour or until cold. For best results, make rice the morning of or the day before preparing the dish.
- Chop all vegetables into finely chopped pieces, and place in a small bowl. Melt butter in the microwave (intervals to prevent exploding) and add soy sauce. Mix and set aside.
- Heat a splash of oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add whisked egg and scramble. Use the tip of a spatula to break the egg into small chunks. Remove from the pan and place on a small plate. Add all veggies to the pan with another small splash of oil and cook until warmed through and tender, about 4 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and place on the same plate with the egg.
- Add another splash of oil along with the cooked rice. Fry the rice, tossing every 30 seconds, to warm through and slightly brown. Be sure to manage the heat to prevent burning. Cook for 4-5 minutes until nice and hot. Drizzle the butter/soy sauce over the rice and toss to fully coat. It’s ready when there are no more white grains of rice. Return veggies and eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
- If you think the rice needs a little more soy sauce, drizzle some extra over the top and toss to mix. Serve immediately.
Always start with cold or day old rice for best results. This makes the frying process better and also prevents clumping.
I like to use frozen peas, carrots, and onion for simple prep. Fresh is always best.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 359mg
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 42.4g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
Keywords: Japanese fried rice, hibachi rice, fried rice recipe