This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase a product I recommend.
We are currently going through a mini ‘cold front’ here in New England. A few days of bone-chilling single-digit weather. I guess that’s the price I’m more than willing to pay for heading to the Super Bowl 3 straight years in a row. On cold winter nights like this, what’s better than a creamy pasta sauce that will stick to your ribs and warm you right up?
Creamy shell pasta with ground sausage is like a creamier sausage-based spin on classic bolognese. It’s super-rich, filling, and screams comfort food. The ingredients alone are simple, and it’s even easier to bring together in about 30 minutes.
Creamy Meat Sauce
The dish features pasta shells with a simple makeshift “homemade” marinara-based cream sauce, doctored up with fresh basil, garlic, onion, white wine (if you have it on hand) and cream. Yes, it’s all about that creamy pasta sauce.
If you’re looking for a solid marinara, I really like Rao’s marinara sauce. Or use something similar without too many add on flavors like cheese, basil, or garlic. We’ll add those on our own!
I went with a combo of ground sweet and spicy Italian sausage to give the dish a touch of heat. You can use all sweet Italian sausage if you don’t want any spice. It’s warming without being overbearing. Unlike your typical beef sauce, the Italian sausage brings so much more flavor to the table (no pun intended). I think it makes an otherwise simple dish a touch fancier.
Can I make This Dairy-Free?
This dish is otherwise dairy-free if you don’t use cream or serve with Parmesan cheese. I’ve substituted a simple homemade cashew cream in its place and you CANNOT taste the difference. Pair with a solid red wine (or maybe the white you just opened), and you’ve got yourself a fancy date-night worthy pasta dish.
You’ll Also Love
- Simple creamy gnocchi
- Rigatoni bolognese
- Gnocchi bolognese
- No-boil baked ziti with ricotta and mozzarella
- Not your mom’s American chop suey
Creamy Shell Pasta with Sausage Recipe
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
The ultimate creamy pasta recipe. Simple cream-based pasta sauce prepared with ground sweet and spicy Italian sausage and shell pasta.
- 1 lb large shells (not jumbo)
- 1 lb ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb ground spicy Italian sausage (optional)
- 16 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3–4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, plus extra for serving
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch, crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shredded Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large lidded saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add sausage to the skillet. Use the end of a spatula to break the sausage into small chunks, cooking until browned and fully cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Discard excess fat.
- Add marinara, wine, and basil. Cover and let simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook shells al dente.
- Strain shells and add to the sauce along with the cream. Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes and serve with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
This can be made dairy free by using homemade cashew cream in place of cream. It’s just as creamy and delicious.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 537
- Sugar: 12.3g
- Sodium: 665mg
- Fat: 17.7g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 56.2g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
Keywords: shell pasta recipes, creamy pasta sauce, meat sauce
I make this dinner for my family at least every other week. It’s definitely a top favorite in our household. I make homemade marinara most times, but have used a good jarred marinara too and this recipe tastes delicious no matter what. Excellent recipe!!
Made this tonight and we loved it! 5 stars for sure. The sausage, seasonings, the basil and cream, it all works together so well. This one is a keeper!
Can’t pick stars bc haven’t tried. Can’t wait to try it!
Made this tonite for my family and it was delicious! Great meal for cold weather!
The day I got this recipe I made it for dinner! Shawn, once again you knocked it out of the park!! It was so easy to make, and the flavors all worked so well together! I was able to make it with ingredients I always have on hand, and whipped it up in a half hour! The heavy cream, basil and Parmesan at the end just send this dish over the edge! Thank you Shawn – you never disappoint!! And my hubby says thank you as well!!
Thanks Nancy – so glad you liked this one. Thanks for the quick, positive feedback!