Grilled chicken topped with thinly sliced roma tomatoes, melted mozzarella cheese, fresh chopped basil, and a drizzle of balsamic reduction. It’s a simple yet elegant dish packed with so much flavor.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast (keep under 3/4 inches thick, slice if possible)
- 8-ounce ball fresh mozzarella sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick lengthwise
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8–10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Clean the grates well and lightly oil with olive oil.
- Grill chicken for 5-7 minutes per side (lid closed) or until chicken is no longer pink and fully cooked through. Always use a digital thermometer to ensure the internal temperature is 165°F. See note below on alternately baking chicken.
- Top each piece of chicken with 1-2 slices of tomato (sprinkle tomatoes with a pinch of salt to really set it off) then 1-2 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. Close the lid and grill for 2-3 more minutes or until cheese is warm and starting to melt.
- Remove from the heat, drizzle with balsamic and sprinkle with chopped fresh basil.
- While chicken is cooking, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil, and reduce heat to low/simmer as soon as it bubbles. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until reduced by half. The sauce may not look thicker until it’s been removed from the heat for a few minutes. A splash of warm water will help thin the sauce if it gets too sticky.
The recipe works best with 3/4 inch thick chicken. Make all slices uniform for the best results. Larger, thicker chicken breasts should be sliced in half to yield two thinner slicers.
To bake the chicken: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Brush chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place on a baking sheet/dish and bake for 15-18 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165°F and meat is no longer pink. In the last 3 minutes, top with sliced tomato and cheese and bake until melted. Remove from the heat, drizzle with balsamic and sprinkle with chopped fresh basil.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 416
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Sodium: 361mg
- Fat: 17.7g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrates: 1.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 61.4g
- Cholesterol: 157mg
Keywords: chicken with mozzarella and basil, chicken caprese