My absolute favorite easy weeknight Tex Mex inspired dinner. Chicken chimichangas made with chicken, refried beans, cheese, chopped green chilies, and lots of spices.
- 1 pound diced boneless, skinless chicken (breast or tenders work)
- 6, 8 inch soft flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 16 ounce can, fat-free refried beans
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil and cooking spray for cooking
- Guacamole, sour cream, and salsa for serving (optional)
Sour Cream Drizzle
- 3–4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1–2 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 500 °F. For the sour cream drizzle, mix sour cream and water in a small bowl until smooth and creamy. You want it just thin enough to drizzle but not watery. Set aside.
- In a skillet or pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add chopped chicken and onion and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Mix in the chopped green chiles, garlic, and spices and let simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Lay out the tortillas and evenly spread two heaping tablespoons of refried beans down the center of each tortilla. Divide the chicken filling down the center of each of the tortillas as well. Top with cheese, to taste.
- Fold in the ends of the tortilla and roll into a tight burrito, ensuring the ends stay closed. Place on a baking sheet with the seam facing down so the chimichangas stay tightly wrapped. Give the tops of the chimichangas a quick spray with cooking spray.
- Transfer to the oven and bake on the top rack for 7-10 minutes or until the tops of the chimichangas just start to brown. Serve immediately with guacamole, a drizzle of sour cream, and salsa.
You can also make this with shredded rotisserie chicken. I would still heat the chicken to ensure it’s warm before baking. Whatever you do, you don’t want big chunks of chicken. Small is best.
- Serving Size: 2 chimichangas
- Calories: 652
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 798mg
- Fat: 24.7g
- Saturated Fat: 10.5g
- Carbohydrates: 58.7g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 46.6g
- Cholesterol: 128mg
Keywords: chicken chimichangas, baked chimichangas